Friday, August 13, 2010

Introduction

Well, this is the very first post. It's a bit early as we're not actually going to be starting our project until January 1st but as I find new places to get food I'll be posting here.

So far we have the Vallejo Farmer's Market. We are very lucky as it is year round. The only issue is that it's only once a week so we have to make sure we plan ahead every week to either make time to go to it every Saturday or buy enough for two weeks at once.

I've also recently found a co-op here in Vallejo. I just ordered the catalog to see what all they offer.

Some of the things I will need for processing food includes a coffee roaster and a grain roller mill to roll grains into cereal. Tom thinks he can give up coffee. He currently drinks the equivalent of 2-4 cups per day. We'll see how that goes. I love coffee as well and while I could give it up, I don't know if I want to.

2 comments:

  1. Where is the co-op in Vallejo? I didn't know there was one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't want to give up coffee, may I suggest ordering from the Thanksgiving Coffee Company in Fort Bragg.

    "We are an artisan coffee roaster in Northern California. We buy from small farms and cooperatives around the world. Our family run company is committed to sustainability."

    Personally, I only buy shade grown organic coffee which protects wildlife habitat for birds. But they have numerous selections of fair trade partnership coffee blends. I've been buying from them for years and have received wonderful service. They recently had a fire that burned down their offices. But they managed to keep right on going.

    Since they aren't a grocery store and their business model promotes sustainability, I don't think it would break your rules. At least check them out.

    http://store.thanksgivingcoffee.com/coffee/partnership_coffees

    ReplyDelete