Saturday, February 12, 2011

Week 18 & 19 - A New Feature!

Sunday - 
We just kind of snacked because we went to the Twain's feast.

Monday -
Pizza with sausage from Angelo's meats, sauteed onions and peppers, homemade mozzarella and mushrooms from the farmers' market.

Tuesday -
Frittata with our hens' eggs, spinach from the garden and mushrooms from the farmers' market. Oatmeal cookies for dessert. 

Wednesday - 
Lasagna with grassfed ground beef, foraged mushrooms, homemade mozzarella and homemade pasta.  And sauteed cabbage from our garden.

Thursday - 
Fried pheasant breasts and legs with rice and peas from the garden.

Friday -
Pastured pork roast with potatoes and carrots.

Saturday -
Impromptu dinner party with homemade spaghetti, sauce, salad and garlic bread. Lemon meringue pie for dessert.

Sunday -
Snacky day because we were so busy running around and doing an interview.

Monday -
Carne asada from the last of our of grass fed steer. Sad day. Homemade tortillas and grilled onions from the farmers' market and spanish rice.

Tuesday -
Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup with Bacon!

Wednesday -
Eggs overeasy with a baked sweet potato and bacon (I love breakfast for dinner!).

Thurdsay -
Sausage cabbage soup that was so effing good! 

Friday - 
Pot roast with potatoes and carrots.

Saturday - 
Split pea soup with bacon! I sure love bacon. Ha ha.

Reflections -
I totally forgot to post the previous week's menu so it's added to this one. I must have been too busy with bacon! I've never eaten so much bacon in my life. I put it in everything and everything has been amazing!

Actually on a more serious note, I think I've finally taken my cooking to a whole new level - and not just because of bacon. My meals have gotten a lot tastier. Especially my soups. The Sausage Cabbage soup was very humble in ingredients but a powerhouse of flavor. And no, it didn't have any bacon in it. After the Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup with bacon I really felt inspired to explore different ingredients in the kitchen. I had never cooked with Fennel. I'm thinking of trying a new ingredient, whether it is a fruit, vegetable, grain, meat or spice each month. So February will be the month of Fennel. Each week I'll come up with a new recipe for that ingredient and share it here.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever eaten Fennel...I wonder if it would grow in Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an annual that grows like crazy here in California. I would think it would grow great in Florida too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this blog?! I stumbled upon from Dog Island Farm and I'm so impressed. We're half way through the 100 Mile Challenge, but yours is definitely the step farther. Lots of things to learn here, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered foraging your fennel? It grows on every sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have thought about it but it's always too late in the season by the time I get around to it.

    ReplyDelete