Friday, April 1, 2011

6 Months!

It's April 1st which means we have officially been on this crazy journey for 6 months now. 6 months! It's crazy! Halfway through this thing. I've been thinking about how this is a finite journey and will eventually have to end. It's kind of a bummer. I actually enjoy doing this.

But being at the 6 month mark also means that we only have 3 months before giving up buying food completely. I'm really nervous about that now that we're about a month behind on our garden. 

So now I'm wondering what we should do once our year is up? I'd like to continue the no-groceries thing but lighten up on the going out part. Some days it's just more convenient to pick up a sandwich or something than cook dinner. Like tonight when we have to spend most of our time watching our goat who is threatening labor.

What do you think we should do after our year is up?

4 comments:

  1. My suggestion is to keep going! Home grown/raised food is much healthier for you and in some ways more cost-effective. Plus the gardening and tending to your livestock keeps you physically active (Bonus!). You have always loved the outdoors and gardening, I say do what you love.

    I agree with you about lightening up on the going out part. Treat yourselves to a nice dinner once in awhile and just relax!

    I am staring my first vegetable garden here in a few weeks! This summer/fall I plan I canning for the first time too. Mike and I plan on buying a farm in a couple of years and we want to raise our own beef/poultry/pork. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say keep going as well. If what certain folk say is true about this coming year you may have to anyway! You'll be a hundred steps ahead of the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy for me to say "keep going" but maybe you want to just reconsider what you were buying before and just choose the items that have re-occurred in your dreams for the previous year? I would want coffee and chocolate AND really good moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been fortunate to have a local supplier of green coffee beans (which unfortunately aren't local themselves but they are organic and free trade) that we roast ourselves. Chocolate OTOH has been definitely something I've missed. We do have Ghiradelli near us, I just haven't gone.

    ReplyDelete