Saturday, April 23, 2011

Week 29 - No Gluten

Sunday-
Artichokes and more artichokes. Oh, and a baked potato

Monday-
Eggs and fried potatoes.

Tuesday-
Pork stirfry with rice.

Wednesday-
Cracked crab with a cabbage salad and artichokes.

Thursday-
Venison burgers with a cabbage salad and artichokes.

Friday-
Pork chops with mashed potatoes and chard from our garden.

Saturday-
Smoked duck, kohlrabi, mushroom, and onion stir fry with an orange sauce and rice. 

Reflections - 
Since the cold I had several weeks ago my asthma has been bothering me pretty badly. Usually it manifests itself as a dry, hacking cough. On Thursday my friend, Michele, posted an article on a link between gluten and asthma. I'd been kind of thinking about going sans gluten but this kind of pushed me over the edge. That day I noticed that when I eat bread my coughing got worse so I'm going to see if my asthmatic cough will go away faster if I remove gluten from my diet. So far, even after just two days, I've noticed a marked difference. I'm not hacking before bed, which to me is huge because it means I (and Tom) can fall asleep faster. So we'll see if this works. As for Tom, he's still eating bread and other foods with gluten in them.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing to see how much better your body feels when you cut the dairy and gluten out. I'm always dairy free but when my colitis is starting to act-up I do a couple of weeks gluten free too. I call it the caveman's diet. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete